SUBMIT A SAMPLE
Step by step guide to sample collection and submittal
You cannot determine the presence of asbestos with the naked eye. Sampling and laboratory testing is the only conclusive method of identifying the presence of Asbestos. Therefore, you must treat all suspect material as if they are contaminated. Before taking any samples, the following instructions must be read carefully:
For any friable material that can be crushed into powder by hand such as insulation, sprayed coatings, paper backing to tiles or insulation, please do not proceed until you have completed the proper training. If you feel uncomfortable about taking an asbestos sample, we strongly recommend you call us and arrange a sampling technician from our laboratory to come to your home or workplace and take the samples for you.
- Wear disposable gloves and a P2 disposable Face Mask prior to taking any samples. A P2 mask can be purchased from a local hardware store.
- Wet the material using a fine mist of water containing a few drops of detergent before taking the sample. The water/detergent mist will reduce the possibility of releasing asbestos fibres.
- Do not disturb the material any more than is needed to take a small sample. The approximate size of the sample collected should resemble a 50 cent piece, except floor tiles which will require a minimum of approximately 100 square centimetres. For soil samples, the quantity collected should be around 100g. Carefully cut/scrape a piece from the entire depth of the material using, for example; a small knife, corer, plier or other sharp object. Material from any repaired and repatched areas should be treated as separate subsamples.
- Place the sample into a plastic sample bag preferably a ZipLock type and double-bag it with another ZipLock bag.
- Label the outer sample bag – the label should contain an identification number and clearly indicate when and where the sample was taken with a brief description of the material type.
- Seal the hole created by removing the sample with a small piece of duct tape or paint to prevent a further spread of fibres.
- Use a baby-wipe to clean up your sampling tool or material spilled onto the floor during sampling. NEVER USE A DOMESTIC VACUUM TO CLEAN UP ASBESTOS.
Results will generally be available within 3 days. We will notify you of the results by e-mailing you a certificate of analysis, advising whether or not asbestos was detected in your sample and also an identification of the type of asbestos.
- Click on the ‘submittal form’ below and print it.
- Fill out the submittal form and place the sample bags in a suitable mailing envelope together with your payment. Please make cheques payable to Lifetree Environmental Pty Ltd. We also accept payment by direct deposit. The turnaround time and quantity of samples sent dictates the cost of sample analysis. It ranges from one day to three days, and depends on how early you want the test reports. We even offer ‘emergency analysis’ if you have a situation that cannot wait, and ‘immediate analysis’ for results within 2-3 hours. Prices for these services are made available on request.
- Samples can be sent to us by courier or mail or hand delivered. Our address is: Unit 6, 101 Collins Rd, Willetton, Perth WA 6155. (If you choose to hand deliver, we request that you call us first on (08) 9354 7405 to let us know you’re coming.)